This summer, San Antonio turns into a citywide playground for kids and families with the city’s first-ever Kidcation Week, August 12-18, 2013. Kidcation Week provides families a chance to closeout summer with one last jam-packed adventure. Visitors can look forward to exclusive kids programming and events, free entertainment and deals at hotels, attractions, shops, and restaurants.
The fun begins with a special Kidcation Week Kickoff Party on Monday, August 12, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., at Hemisfair park. This morning celebration will get the party started with a kid’s band, food, a festive Kidcation Week declaration, meet and greets with numerous characters and mascots including the San Antonio Spurs Coyote, SeaWorld San Antonio’s Shamu , Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Bugs Bunny, and more.
With more than 60 deals and events offered throughout the week, Kidcation Week helps families create fun memories at minimal or no cost. Examples of experiences visitors can only get during Kidcation Week include:
Kidcation Week Events:
- Bat Loco: On August 13, visitors can learn more about San Antonio’s bat community and watch bats emerge under the I-35 bridge on the River Walk for their nightly insect hunt. This event is hosted by the San Antonio River Authority, Paseo del Rio Association and Bat Conservation International
- Dessert Cooking Demonstration: RK Group’s Chef Dave will do a cooking demonstration of popular elementary school desserts in Hemisfair park
- Hemisfair Free Movie Nights: Families can enjoy free PG movies in Hemisfair park every weeknight of Kidcation Week
- Vaquerocation: Cowboy Day: Live just like a cowboy on August 14 with cowboy docents, book readings and activity tables at the Institute of Texan Cultures
- LET’S READ! Kids Back to School FEST: On August 18, Main Plaza will be full of Make and Take arts and crafts, airbrushing and hair styling, musical performances, storytelling, book giveaways, an instrument petting zoo and much more
Kidcation Week Offers:
- Alamo Trolley: Free tour for kids 12 and under with the purchase of an adult tour
- Cheesy Jane’s: Free kids milkshake with any kid’s meal
- El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel: Milk, cookies, balloons, a coupon for complimentary S’mores and an El Tropicano beach ball upon arrival
- Hard Rock Café: Free kids meal with the purchase of an adult entrée
- Kiddie Park and Kiddie Park Pica Pica: Kids get a free cotton candy when they mention Kidcation Week
- San Antonio’s Incredible Pizza: Free kids buffet or $5 game card
- San Antonio Museum of Art: Free admission all week for kids 12 and under
- Witte Museum: Free admission all week for kids 12 and under (entrance to museum’s Dinosaurs Unearthed exhibit will be $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under)
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown Alamo Plaza: Every child under age 12 will receive a balloon upon check-in and be entertained by a balloon artist from 4 – 5 p.m.
- Omni San Antonio Hotel at the Colonnade: Each child receives an Omnikids backpack at check-in, milk and cookies delivered at turndown on arrival evening and a cookie decorating session with a chef
This last big hurrah of summer should be a lot of fun for families who are traveling to San Antonio as well as those who live there. Have fun!
Photo credit: Ed Bierman via flickr (Mission San Antonio de Padua)
You might also enjoy
Mary Jo Manzanares is a founder and the editor-in-chief of The Traveler’s Way, an online travel magazine proving informational and inspirational travel recommendations for curious Baby Boomer travelers. She has been a speaker at various industry events and has a personal travel blog at Traveling with MJ. When she’s not traveling, Mary Jo likes lingering over a cup of coffee, wandering in a museum, sipping wine at a cafe, and sharing it all with friends and readers. Mary Jo’s top travel destinations are Italy, Portugal, and the Caribbean.