Further to my post on the 2008 Global Cities Index, here is another snippet from the report ranking the best cities to get some culture based on things like sporting events, concurrence of travellers, variety of their culinary offerings, art installations and performances.
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Mexico City
and the rest of the list.
With the recent opening of the Art Gallery of Ontario, a controversial renovation of the Royal Ontario Museum and a brand new Centre for the Performing Arts, us Torontonians have forged our way into the top 10. But it makes you wonder how much this type of top 10 lists can fluctuate when you start adding other factors as part of the ranking such as:
- average distance to nearby world heritage site,
- number of cultural events programmed throughout the year,
- affluence of visitors to major festivals,
- foreign cultures with active representation in the city,
- cumulative age of historic sites within city boundaries…